Frisco Family Services feeds hundreds of families

Community members collected items such as canned fruits and 
vegetables, various seasonings, pie mix and other ingredients to help feed hundreds of families in Frisco.

Olivia Kirklin

Community members collected items such as canned fruits and vegetables, various seasonings, pie mix and other ingredients to help feed hundreds of families in Frisco.

Olivia Kirklin, Staff Reporter

With the holiday season quickly approaching, members of the Frisco community are working to ensure families the opportunity for a food-filled holiday season, beginning with Thanksgiving. A non-profit organization, Frisco Family Services, works to help community members facing hunger, homelessness, and other needs, with a sufficient amount of food.

“Through generous groups and individuals, we are able to provide each family we serve with a turkey and everything needed to prepare a traditional Thanksgiving meal,” Frisco Family Services said via its website. “Something many would go without during a crisis or financial hardship.”

The program happens each year and begins in late October when boxes provided by FFS are able to be picked up to fill with ingredients.

Our church has been partnering with Frisco Family Services for many years,” FISD mom Beth Sarey said. “For weeks leading up to our deadline, we encourage members to bring needed food items or grocery store gift cards. We collect all the food and then package boxes according to the wish list from Frisco Family Services.”

Once boxes are packaged, the individual or group is given a specific time to drop off the boxes to the FFS Office.

“The boxes are all delivered to the office, then their clients come by to pick up two boxes in addition to other staple items,” Sarey said. “It’s so easy to take what we have for granted. Helping enable others to enjoy the blessing of having enough food is a true joy.”

Established more than 20 years ago, the program has caught the attention of adults and students.

“The chance of helping people in need is what got my family and I interested in packing the boxes,” senior Brittany Stevens said. “We construct boxes each year with a given a list of items, double check the boxes, then tape them closed for delivery. The idea of this program needs to be spread further, and it makes my heart happy knowing we can do something for someone else’s family.”