Back at state, seniors aim for championship

Carter Brock, WTV Executive Sports Producer

• Senior Randi Thompson sent the girls’ basketball game to overtime and, now, she is heading to state in San Antonio with the team.

• After walking through the halls for a “state send-off”, the girls’ basketball team boarded the bus for a 300 mile drive south to San Antonio where they face Kerrville Tivy in the 5A state semifinal. This is the second time in four years the team has advanced to the state tournament.

• Red Rhythm dancers helped pump the girls’ basketball team up as they were sent off to state on Thursday.

• The band performed as the girls’ were sent off to state in San Antonio.

• Waiting for team outside, the varsity cheerleaders celebrate the team’s departure to state.

• The girls’ team was sent off to state on Wednesday morning with students and staff cheering them on as they left.

• The girls’ were sent off to San Antonio on Wednesday.

• Students across the campus hyped up the girls’ basketball team as they headed off on the road to state in San Antonio.

41 games, 31 wins, and now, a state semifinal appearance. In the matchup Thursday night at 7:00 p.m. in San Antonio Alamodome, the girls’ basketball team looks to punch a ticket to the state championship.

After taking part in the school send off Wednesday morning, the Redhawks hopped on a bus and made the 300 mile drive south on I-35. Their opponent, Kerrville Tivy, boasts a 35-1 overall record and captured the Region 4 championship in a 10 point win.

For head coach Ross Reedy, a flexible gameplan can be used with the squad.

“We have kids with an extremely high IQ,” Reedy said. “So we have a gameplan but we’re prepared to make adjustments and we can do a lot of things.”

The state appearance is the second in four years for the Redhawks, giving the team a little added experience for the seniors who went to state freshman year.

“I think that the experience would help because now we know what to expect when we get there,” senior Kaylin Lay said. “We know what the atmosphere is going to be like.”

The only common opponent between the two squads is veterans memorial, with the redhawks beating the team 39-28 earlier in the year and tivy coming out victorious in all four of their matchups.

For those not making the trip south, the game is available to stream on nfhsnetwork.com with a subscription.

“Winning is always the goal,” senior Randi Thompson said. “We just gotta do what we gotta do to get the job done.”

It’s been three years since the girls’ basketball team has qualified for the state tournament, here’s a comparison between the two teams.

Basketball Stats by Juleanna Marie Culilap