Students practice the political process

Competing in the Model UN competition over Thanksgiving break, juniors Mallory Reed (left) and Amy Zhang (right) pose for a picture in the lobby. Three students won the Distinguished Delegates Award and one student won the Secretary General Award, the highest honor, at the Model UN meet.

Amber Holt, Staff Reporter

While many students were already starting their Thanksgiving break, Youth and Government and Model UN students were attending competitions.

Youth and Government is a club that simulates both national and international government structures, and they debate laws that are passed in the Senate and the House of representatives in Austin.

“The student present their Bill,” club sponsor Kaitlyn Little said. “If your bill is at least reasonable it will pass, but if it doesn’t pass then you have to edit it for State.”

Little also runs the club Model UN which participates in the district conference as well and they focus on the United Nations sessions and represent countries while debating global issues and come up with solutions to the problem.

“You go and you warm up for state,” Little said. “They just have to find a solution to international problems.”

Three students won the Distinguished Delegates Award and one student won the Secretary General Award, the highest honor, at the Model UN meet leading Little to expect a good outing at State.

“I think they’re going to kill it this year,” Little said. “The club has grow and we are such a stronger team now, so I think that we are going to do great.”