Crocheting for cancer

Students in NAHS start the process of crocheting beanies that will eventually be donated to cancer patients.

Ariela Rodrigues

Ariela Rodrigues, Guest Contributor

It all started with the basic crocheting method to make homemade beanies, but now sophomore Princess Egbirika is using her skills to help the community. Egbirika along with other students are making beanies with NAHS (National Art Honor Society) to donate them to the cancer patients. Her and other students will be crocheting beanies of many colors and sizes

They don’t have all the specific details worked out as far as where the beanies will go, but at least one thing is known.

“They’ll be going to a cancer hospital in the area,” Egibirika said.

For some of the students taking part, they can personally relate to the suffering that some families go through.

“I’m most excited that they’re were crocheting for cancer,” freshman Alexis Vasquez said. “Because a lot of my family members have gone through cancer and so it’s just exciting to finally get to give back.”

The project allows students to use their talents to help the community.

“It’s about doing something for others in need by using a talent of a skill to create something that will be comforting to those who are sick and hopefully a memento of kindness and hope,” teacher Pernie Fallon said. “It makes everyone that’s working on this project more aware of the needs of our community. It gets them out of the school environment to the community to create a bridge between the students and the community.”

Just helping out these patients is enough for most of the students involved.

“I’ve made a lot of beanies at home but it’s the first time that I’ve like taken it to the school,” Princess said. “Well it’ll bring joy and just a gift to the cancer patients to help them have hope.”