Band Leadership Team selection process underway

Band leaders for the next school year are in the process for being selected. The selection took up many weeks, and students were considered for many positions.

Ian LaPerre, Guest Contributor

Though marching band does not start until the fall, the future leaders are being decided now.

Candidates for various positions such as Section Leader, Visual Captain, and Drum Major are preparing for the live audition in the coming weeks. However, these student also have to make audition videos as well. In these videos, candidates will have to convince the band directors why they should be chosen for the position they are auditioning for.

“We are condensing the process just a little bit so it doesn’t feel so overwhelming,” band director Zachary Anderson said. “Whenever we asked for all of these different materials, there’s still a teacher recommendation, there’s a video and there’s a public speaking, which will be new for drum majors this year, but there is a public speaking portion which will add another component of leadership development within all those are that are applying.”

Candidates for Band Leadership Team have spent the last few weeks preparing for the audition.

“Right now I am getting my application together,” junior Natalie Watkins said. “This includes writing a leadership philosophy, answering questions, and making a video presentation.”

Senior Josh Lee, who was a Drum Major during the most recent marching season has tips for students auditioning this year.“My biggest tip for students auditioning now would be to just enjoy the experience,” Lee said. “I see a lot of students stressing out about getting a spot on the leadership team, but that will just cause nervousness, and may even distract them from taking in the information that is given during the process. The band leadership team audition should be seen as a learning experience, and a chance to demonstrate what you already know, so just try to stay relaxed and go through the audition without being too focused on how the results will turn out.”