Say It Louder: depending on a job, not your parents

Whether+its+something+about+school%2C+being+a+student%2C+or+a+social+issue%2C+columnist+Emma+Cramption+tries+to+make+sure+her+message+is+heard+in+her+weekly+column+Say+it+Louder.+

Dea-Mallika Divi

Whether it’s something about school, being a student, or a social issue, columnist Emma Cramption tries to make sure her message is heard in her weekly column “Say it Louder”.

Emma Crampton, Opinion Editor

I believe that no matter how much money your family has, there always comes an age where one should get a job. I feel as though 16-18 is the appropriate age to start gaining responsibility and independence. Early teen and young adult years prepare you for the real world, and you won’t be prepared if you don’t start providing for yourself.

Relying on your parents money is never a good idea, because you will then get used to having that clutch and become comfortable. There is an inevitable expiration date on your parents financial support. You will eventually have to pay for things on your own. When you move out, if you’re lucky, your parents may help you out for a little bit but after that you’re on your own. Reality will hit you square in the face if you don’t start practicing adulthood when you’re younger.

Having a job is not the only thing that will teach you how to be independent. There comes an age where you should be obligated to do your own laundry, cook for yourself, buy your own groceries, etc. This may seem like common sense, but there are some people our age whose mom’s still clean their rooms and even pack their lunches for school. You’re going to be forced to take care of yourself sometime soon, so if you don’t start now, chances are you’ll have a crisis when the time comes.

Independence is such a crucial quality to obtain not only as an adult, but just as a person. There are so many encounters and experiences that you’re going to have to be your own person rather than a reflection of your parents. Of course how you are raised impacts your personality and the way you think, there comes a time where you naturally develop your own mindsets and opinions. Some people, however, take a lot longer to get there, and some unfortunately never do. By applying independence to your everyday life, you can ensure that you will be ready for the adult world.