Trouble on the diamond as baseball and softball fall

Kia Dunlop

From the beginning of Friday’s game against Wakeland, the softball team found itself facing an uphill climb as the team trailed 7-0 in the first inning before eventually falling 18-0. The team is back in action Tuesday as they take on the Reedy Lions at Reedy starting at 7:15 p.m.

Catie Reeves, Sports Editor

It was a Friday night at home for softball, while baseball hit the road, as both teams continued District 9-5 play.

Losing to Independence 4-3 on March 22, the baseball team was trying to salvage a series split as they took on the second place Knights.

Holding Independence to just three runs, the offense couldn’t top that number, as the team lost 3-2.

“We trusted on another to do their job during the game,” sophomore Will Glatch said. “Our goal throughout was to keep fighting back and keep competing.”

Meanwhile, softball welcomed the Wakeland Wolverines, who entered the game in fourth place in District 9-5A.

The Wolverines showed why they are in playoff position as they erupted for 18 runs, winning 18-0.

“I think we did well when it came down to routine plays and communication on the field and in the dugout,” sophomore Mia Gaines said. “When we made mistakes we lifted each other up and redeemed ourselves for the next play. One our goals was to improve base running and we achieved that goal in our game.”