Peer Point tutorial program enters second week

Dea-Mallika Divi

Mu Alpha Theta and NHS students will be hosting Peer Point tutorial sessions every Wednesday before school, during advisory, and after school in the library in a program that began March 20. “The main goal of this session is to help students who need that individualized attention, but who can’t get it due to the large volume of students coming in to get help,” senior NHS officer Shruti Bindingnavile said. “However, these sessions can really help anybody who has questions or is unsure about the topic they are learning. I think the beauty of this program is that it is universally beneficial with no significant drawbacks.”

Kanz Bitar, Guest Contributor

Offering extra help in math, Mu Alpha Theta and NHS students are now hosting “Peer Point” tutorial sessions every Wednesday before school, during advisory, and after school in the library in a program that began March 20.“This isn’t something we’re starting brand new, this is something that’s been done in different campuses throughout the country and the reason why we’re pursuing it is because we think this is a good opportunity opportunity to get all students the support they need,” associate principal Jon-Eric Ziaer said. “ We’re also trying to provide small targeted uninterrupted time for students that are really struggling to be able to get in with teachers, to get the assistance they need.”
The program is designed to help students who need assistance on small things so the math teachers have more time to work with students who are struggling the most.
“The main goal of this session is to help students who need that individualized attention, but who can’t get it due to the large volume of students coming in to get help,” senior NHS officer Shruti Bindingnavile said. “However, these sessions can really help anybody who has questions or is unsure about the topic they are learning. I think the beauty of this program is that it is universally beneficial with no significant drawbacks.”
The only role teachers play is to redirect students to the program.
“Teachers are referring kids,” counselor Andrea Douglas said. “So if a kid comes to them and needs a little bit of assistance but they’re not really way behind they may refer them to peer point, but other then that there are strictly only students involved.”

With the hopes of getting teaching experience, sophomore Mu Alpha Theta member Lana Le is volunteering to help students in need.
“I like helping people in general,” Le said. “In the future I hope to go into education so I definitely thought that tutoring was a good way to start, this is also a way for me to get service hours,” Le said.
After receiving a bad grade, junior Juan Saavedra decided to try out peer point.
“I got a bad grade on my quiz, I thought maybe this would be a good place to find students who could help me,” Saavedra said. “I thought they were pretty helpful but they weren’t able to help me with the questions I was struggling on.”
The plan for the program is to be able to branch out to other subjects, this way students will be able to get help with all subjects.

“Part of our work for next year and this peer point is in pilot faze right now,” Ziaer said. “We’re just doing it with math, we’re gonna be branching out with other content areas Monday through Friday next year. Right now it’s just wednesday because that’s when math’s priority day is, next year we are going to be going full board with all content areas.”