Student Council narrows field of candidates for election

Election season is kicking off in Student Council as sponsor Julie Anderson will help narrow down the number of candidates. In the coming weeks the final candidates will begin campaigning for votes in the school-wide election.

Wade Glover

Wade Glover

Wade Glover

Prachurjya Shreya, Managing Editor

Although the next school year is months away, Student Council is already narrowing down the candidates for the 2019-2020 student body president and vice president.

“I decided to run because I think it would be a great opportunity for me not only to work on my leadership skills, but to increase my open-mindedness,” junior Lauren Head said. “I would like to work better with the perspectives of others to help all of our students’ school experience to be the best it can be.”

Students who want to run for the top two positions have to go through an application and interview process.

“The student council last year voted to create, in the bylaws, the rule that you have to be in the course as a junior in order to run to be president and vice president,” sponsor Julie Anderson said. “Currently the students that reapplied for StuCo for their senior year, turned in their applications and applications will be reviewed by teachers and administrators and they have to interview. Once that’s determined, the top five will be determined. From there, the student council class will get to narrow it down to the top two. The students thought that was the best way to do it because they know each other and work together so they know who actually fits the position. Once the top two are determined, those two go to the student body for voting on who will be President and who will be vice president.”

The selected members have many reasons they’re running for President, but Head wants to focus on inclusion.

“My main goal as president would be to increase the amount of support that all clubs, departments, and organizations feel throughout the school,” Head said. “I think that we do a really great job in Student Council of celebrating our athletic achievement, and I would love to extend that courtesy to every school-involved organization to allow for a better, more supportive environment for everyone.”

Prachurjya Shreya, Managing Editor

Shreya is a senior and this is her fourth year in wingspan. As a senior, she finds almost everyone annoying and hates when underclassmen accidentally touch...