History club members host review lectures

Humanities students look on as teacher Sarah Wiseman gives a history lesson. The history club is hosting review lectures for AP US History and AP World History open to all students.

Perry Mellone

Perry Mellone

Perry Mellone

Lucas Barr, Editor-in-chief

History club public relations officer and junior Sam Mills has been working with fellow officers and teachers to organize review lectures in the lecture hall before and after school for AP U.S. History and AP World History just weeks out from the tests on May 10 and May 16 respectively.

“I remember last year when I was in WHAP, there were a lot of my friends, other students who were stressed about preparing for the AP exam while doing the in class review,” Mills said. “Seeing that AP human geography had reviewed lecture sessions, I was thinking, why not one for WHAP? I decided to put the idea into action with the history club and it’s officers; it’s sort of a collaborative effort.”

Sophomore Humanities student Rachel Easton found Mill’s lecture helpful in her review for the AP World History test.

“For me it was really informational, especially since I took the first half of class last year, it was really good to like, go over the first couple of periods, since I forgot some of my freshman year,” Easton said. “I encourage other students to go because it goes over a lot of information that you might easily forget or like some details. Sam took the test before the teaching it so he tells you what to expect from the test and just like what to go over.”

Preparing her students for the AP U.S. History and World History exams, history teacher Sarah Wiseman appreciates the History Club’s efforts.

“I think if you’re feeling uncomfortable with some of the content that hearing a fresh voice is a great opportunity to raise your comfort level,” Wiseman said. “I’m really impressed with what they’ve been doing, and everything I’ve heard from students has been really positive. They said that Sam’s lecture the other day was very helpful and knowing the other guys who are in history club, I’m sure that quality is very high.”

With fellow history club officer and junior Kathan Gandhi leading the AP U.S. History lectures, Mills hopes students take advantage of the review.

“I create a presentation based on a study guide that I have an outline, it goes over the empires of the period, the states that you need to know and historical processes,” Mills said. “You can ask me questions if you need to. Sometimes it’s just good to hear it in person, or from a person as opposed to just reading it on Wikipedia, or on a study guide. Sometimes that’s nice for people, I know it is for me.”

A schedule for the lectures can be found below:

April 24 A

WHAP Period 3 Lecture

8:15 AM-8:50 AM

4:20 PM-4:50 PM

APUSH Period 3 Lecture

Advisory

April 25 B

APUSH Period 4 Lecture

8:20 AM-8:50 AM

4:20 PM-4:50 PM

April 26 A

WHAP Period 4 Lecture

8:15 AM-8:50 AM

Advisory

April 29 B Day

APUSH Period 5 Lecture

8:20 AM-8:50 AM

4:20 PM-4:50 PM

April 30 A

WHAP Period 5 Lecture

8:15 AM-8:50 AM

4:20 PM-4:50 PM

May 1 B

APUSH Period 6 Lecture

8:20 AM-8:50 AM

4:20 PM-4:50 PM

May 2 A

WHAP Period 6 Lecture

8:15 AM-8:50 PM

4:20 PM-4:50 PM

May 3 B

APUSH Period 7 Lecture

8:20 AM-8:50 AM

4:20 PM-4:50 PM

May 6 A Day

WHAP Free-Response Workshop

8:15 AM-8:50 AM

4:20 PM-4:50 PM

May 7 B

APUSH Period 8 and 9 Lecture

8:20 AM-8:50 AM

Lucas Barr, Editor-in-chief

Lucas Barr is a junior entering his third year of newspaper. After two years as a staff reporter, he is returning as editor-in-chief. He plays the violin,...