Art students medal at state VASE

Aaron Boehmer

Earning a gold seal, junior Sunyoung Yu drew a self portrait to take to the state VASE competition on Friday and Saturday in San Marcus. This was one of the many honors the art department was able to bring home.

Prachurjya Shreya, Managing Editor

Sending five students to the state VASE competition Friday and Saturday in San Marcos, the school’s art department brought home multiple medals, with one student receiving the highest honor.

“It went really well,” art teacher Pernie Fallon said. “We got a gold seal which was the highest award that you can get in that state of Texas. And then we got medals. Every student who went got a medal.”

Junior Sunyoung Yu won the highest honor for artwork in the state by receiving a gold medallion.

“I feel really grateful to all the teachers who have supported me,” Yu said. “I really couldn’t have done without them and I’m really surprised I was able to receive this award and i’m really happy about it.”

Preparation for the competition took months and both Fallon and students learned a lot from it.

“Honestly all the students from Liberty had such nice pieces,” Fallon said. “I know all of us who participated in VASE worked very hard on our pieces, and they are such a big inspiration to me. I feel like we learn a lot from each other as well and I feel honored to be part of such a hard working, passionate group of people.”