8 events, top 6 finish for octathlon team

Courtesy of Gary Mumford

Academic Octathlon students pose for a picture at competition this past weekend at Wakeland High School. The Redhawk team met its goal with a top ten finish.

Aliza Porter, Assignment Editor

Taking on schools from throughout the state, the octathlon team scored a 6th place finish in Saturday’s octathlon competition at Wakeland High School.

Octathlon is an academic competition,” campus octathlon coach Gary Mumford said. “It’s for just sophomores and freshmen and they compete in eight different academic events: essay, math, science, social science, literature, music, art, and economics.”

Taking on other Frisco schools, as well as bigger schools, the team reached its goal.

“Normally we don’t compete against large schools in academic Decathlon but in Octathlon you do so we were really the second highest of the schools that were in our division if you look at it that way, but overall we were 6th place out of the 28 teams,” Mumford said. “The goal was actually to get into the top ten so we achieved our goal in that situation and to win some medals.”

Leading the way for the team was freshman Robbie Violante who earned five individual medals and second place overall.

“I think that I did really well,” Violante said. “I’m in the lowest category which means the competition is a little easier to get past, but I still think that I did really well and I feel really good about my results, especially music, because being that it’s the 1960’s and I do a lot of jazz and jazz history on the day to day basics, I really liked that I got a high score in music.”