Keeping Up with Kanika: the purpose of socializing

From+social+issues+to+stuff+happening+on+campus%2C+senior+Kanika+Kappalayil+provides+her+take+in+this+weekly+column.+

Juleanna Culilap

From social issues to stuff happening on campus, senior Kanika Kappalayil provides her take in this weekly column.

Kanika Kappalayil, Staff Reporter

Lately, I’ve been questioning the whole point of socializing. What is it for, and why do we engage in it?

I think as a society we’re so so quick to divide individuals into two binary groups, those who are supposedly only ever have an on switch, extroverts, and those who shun those interactions, introverts.

Those are such gross simplifications, however, that do no one justice.

I’m sure by most friends’ standards and perhaps my own, I’d consider myself a social person, but what does that even mean?

What does it really mean to be social?

Is it the ability to interact with people and form connections? Or is it the genuine desire to reach out to other people?

Frankly, I’ve witnessed all around me that socialization doesn’t seem to have the most sincere roots. It’s almost a flex to some to be able to look like the biggest social butterfly in the room—the person that captures everyone’s attention—the loudest one, the most controversial one, someone who stands out.

But the question is, is that really yourself or the persona you take on, so you feel validated by the way others view you? And if it isn’t, why put on a show just to entertain others?

We all want to feel important, but it’s easy to slip into using your social presence to build a false sense of security.

I think overall we should reflect on what it means to be social and in group settings. Is it for the sake of it or for forming genuine bonds with others and sharing experiences?

I think the human experience is only that much more enriching when one develops a clear perspective of why they want to spend the time they do with others.