From Redhawk to Terrier, senior makes his college choice

With his past jerseys displayed on the table in front of him, senior Zion Richardson announced his commitment to Wofford College where he will continue his basketball career. Richardson announced his decision Friday at Fowler Middle with Campbell and Western Michigan his other two finalists.

Wade Glover

Wade Glover

Wade Glover

Aaron Boehmer, Sports Editor

Senior Zion Richardson committed to Wofford College on Friday as he looks to continue his athletic career as a member of the basketball program that took the college basketball world by storm in March.  

“Honestly, it was the perfect school for me balancing academics and athletics; of course also that they are known for getting to the NCAA tournament which would help me raise my stock,” Richardson said. “But it’s the overall love and comradery of the students and fans for the school and the program. I fit in perfect with their offensive and defensive style of play.”

Aiming high as he enters his first year of college, Richardson hopes to contribute all he has to the basketball program, all the while making his way to the top.  

“I’m expecting to come in and win SoCon freshman of the year, [and] I’m expecting to make it to the NCAA tournament for all the years I’m there, and also to bring as many conference titles and conference player of the year awards in that I can,” Richardson said. “Of course, then bring as many wins I can for Terrier Nation while getting a prestigious education.”

By his side along the way, Richardson’s mom Michelle Devon has seen her son grow as a student athlete.

“I have seen Zion grow and mature as both an athlete and student by having to balance missing classes to attend and taking,” Devon said. “I am very excited to see that all of Zion’s hard work and dedication has paid off, leading to him receiving a full D1 scholarship.”

In addition to academics, Devon sees the value in Richardson competing at the highest level of college basketball possible.

“I believe Zion will benefit tremendously playing at the collegiate level because he will be playing with players that have an elevated basketball IQ,” she said. “Also, the college that Zion will be attending has both a pre-veterinarian and entrepreneurial program, which satisfies both of his professional aspirations.”

While Richardson doesn’t graduate until May 31, he looks forward to summer training in July as he prepares for the fall semester.

“I’m traveling to train with different trainers to fully craft and tighten up my game before heading into summer school and workouts in July,” Richardson said. “But mainly just strengthening my body and becoming quicker and efficient for the next level.”

Aaron Boehmer, Sports Editor

Aaron Boehmer is a sophomore and in his second year of working on the Wingspan staff. He is also in his second year of playing for the school’s soccer...