Throwback Tuesday for choir’s final concert of the year

Bringing the year to a close, choir had an 80s themed concert on Tuesday night. The theme allowed students to expand their horizons as singers as they were presented with the chance to sing different styles of music.

Madeline Aronson, Staff Reporter

The audience got “Rick Rolled” Tuesday night as choir performed hit songs from the ‘70s and ‘80s, including “Never Gonna Give You Up” by Rick Astley, in the group’s final concert of the year.
“It’s always interesting on the last one, because you spend the whole year working on that kind of technique for more classicalical music,” choir director Toni Ugolini said. “So trying to transfer that to the pop is always, not a struggle but an effort at first, and then watching it all come together is very cool.”

The pop music twist proved to be a new challenge for the students as they performed songs such as “Livin’ on a Prayer” and “Eternal Flame.

“It was really fun, we did some ‘80s music, and we all dressed up in ‘80s costume, and it was a lot of fun to hang out with all of of friends for one last event,” freshman Sarah Head said. “I’m kind of sad, but I’m also kind of excited because it was like a good way to end the year.”

Head was glad to see the choir progress and grow throughout the year in different skills, and see it all wrapped up in a final performance.

“Definitely at the beginning of the year, we didn’t really know how to sight read so we gotta work on the music a lot more and become more confident,” Head said. “I liked just hanging out with all my friends and singing ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’.”

Senior Madeleine Kennedy ended her time in choir on Tuesday, and is glad she saw success in her last year.

“For me, it was special, because it was my last choir concert, and I’ve been in choir for nine years,” Kennedy said. “It was our first year having our new choir director, and we had just won sweepstakes a few months ago, so it was our first fun concert since UIL.”

Madeline Aronson, Staff Reporter

Maddie Aronson is Junior and is new to the Wingspan program. She is the president of the SAGA club at Liberty, and plays for the Redhawk...

Prachurjya Shreya, Managing Editor

Shreya is a senior and this is her fourth year in wingspan. As a senior, she finds almost everyone annoying and hates when underclassmen accidentally touch...