Awarding students for community service

provided by Mala Jagan

Working with their communities, students were awarded with the President’s Volunteer Service Award on Monday night for those that have been proactive in their community.

Melody Tavallaee, Managing Editor

Multiple students on campus were recognized on Monday night with the President’s Volunteer Service Award, which acknowledges the volunteer work they do over the course of a year.

“The Presidential Volunteer Service Award is basically an award that’s given out to people if they volunteer more than a certain number of hours,” freshman Shreya Jagan said. “There are different levels, so essentially, gold means you volunteer more than 100 hours, bronze means you volunteer more than 50, and then silver means you volunteer more than 75 hours over the course of one year.”

The award recognizes students for the great amount of devotion they put into helping their communities.

“The award is just recognition from the government, technically the president, for hours of volunteering to better your community around you,” junior Roy Nitzan said. “I won the award for all the time I spent working with my Israeli Scouts chapter in Dallas. I spent 225 hours just this year helping grow the program, teaching kids, designing logos and posters, and helping our Jewish community.”

Viewing the award as a testament to her hard work, Jagan feels honored to have been recognized.

“I was really happy because was there were so many technicalities when I was submitting my hours that I didn’t know if I was actually going to get the award or not,” Jagan said. “I never thought that there would be an award for just volunteering in general so I was really happy. I was elated to know that I was being recognized for something I was doing.”