Cross country teams open season with top 10 finishes in Plano

used by permission from Ben Manning

Redhawks athletes juniors Andrew Jauregui and Chance Moore were the only two from the boys cross country team to qualify for the UIL state meet. Three years ago, similar circumstances occurred as both athletes were were the only two Freshman to advance at the time.

Catie Reeves, Sports Editor

Saturday launched the 2019 cross country season as both the boys’ and girls’ teams ran in the Plano Invitational at Russell Creek

Both boys and girls finished in eighth, with the girls’ team earning 207 points and the boys scoring 222 points.

“Our goal was to start the season off strong and set the tone for where we want to be for districts which I believe we did,” senior Pierce Rupert said. “We have a lot of returning runners this year and that helped us make a name for ourselves as frontrunners.”

Senior Jahson Ferguson, finished 24th with a time of 17:20.82.

“My energy was defined as pretty determined,” Ferguson said. “The boys are now more motivated than ever to go to state. Overall I believe our program is going to be fierce this year and I think we are going to go pretty far.”