Tardy consequences begin Monday

Yael Even

The school’s updated tardy policy went into effect on Monday. Students in the main hallways after the first bell will be sent to get a tardy slip and students in academic hallways will be marked late for class by teachers.

Yael Even, Managing Editor

The school let tardies slide the first seven days of school, but that all changes on Monday as students late to class with begin to get consequences. 

“It was nice to let us get adjusted before starting the policy,” senior Jacob Lin said. “It allows people to learn when they need to leave for school and what time they should get here.”

If students are late to first period, then they must report to the front office. After first period, students must report to the book room and see tardy table attendant Ken Budz. 

“If you get a tardy pass, you get a warning,” Budz said. “Once you get too many tardy passes you have to go to the AP’s office. That time will be held against you, the time you miss comes off the time you are supposed to be in class.”

Following the first tardy, students will then receive a lunch detention for tardies two through four, tardies five through eight will result in a Thursday night reflection or Saturday school, with more than eight tardies resulting in a referral to the AP’s which consequences such as a truancy warning or an in-school suspension. 

“Part of life is being there on time,” Budz said. “Be where you are supposed to be on time.”