Some students fast on campus for Day of Ashura

Yael Even

Looking on as his friend Satwik Ghoshal eats his lunch, Zain Rahmani has chosen to fast for religious reasons. Today marks the day of Ashura, therefore Rahmani along with many other Muslims on campus.

Yael Even, Managing Editor

Eating lunch on Monday and Tuesday was a normal third period activity for most students on campus. However, for some Muslims, it meant fasting as the days mark the first month of the Islamic calendar.

“Basically today is the day that prophet Moses and the Jews were saved from the pharaoh by God, called Ashura,” senior Kareem Ayub said. “Prophet Muhammad used to fast on that day to commemorate that day. It became a tradition for all muslims to fast on that day.”

Not only do some Muslims fast in respect of Prophet Muhammad, it is a way for them to stay in touch with their faith.

“It benefits me because it’s a way we can make amends for our wrongdoings and be forgiven for them,” senior Hadi Shah said. “If I fast it shows that I care and respect those who were martyred and especially since I’m sayyid, I’m related to the prophet so it’s a way for us to mourn for our family.”

For many Americans, the new year starts on the first day of January 1st. However for Muslims, Sept. 10 marks the start of the new year on the Islamic calendar which is based on the cycle of the moon, leading to certain religious dates varying from year to year,

“It resembles a sort of like a new beginning since this Islamic month is the new year on the Islamic calendar,” senior Saud Baig said. “It benefits a person since this fast is considered very good for a Muslim to do although it isn’t required. If you fast it means you are in touch with your faith and it’s more so the self-control aspect rather than just giving up food and water.”