YouTube Music jumps on mobile listening

Review: Expertly crafted playlist worth the price

While membership is twelve dollars per month, David Figueroa believes Youtube Music provides great quality.

David Figueroa, Guest Contributor

THave you ever found yourself wishing that you could open up YouTube on your phone, put on a song, close out the browser, and still keep listening? Well, like most things, there is now an app for that.

Recently a small ad began popping up on the Google home page advertising the “All new YouTube music app”. I immediately clicked on the link, and saw that the app of my dreams had been created.

Downloaded immediately, it did not disappoint as music fanatics can now listen to all of their favorite artists and albums without having to pay some ridiculous price on the app store.

Not only is it awesome to be able to listen to your favorite songs on YouTube without having to keep the window open and loose battery power, the presentation is also fantastic. Every artist has their own page which has every single album they have ever produced, including live albums.

As you keep listening to music on the app, YouTube then begins to notice patterns in the types of music that you often listen to. It then creates a personal station for you and plays nonstop music from your favorite artists and genres.

For example, if you are a rock fan, your personalized station will feature non-stop rock music. Not only that, but YouTube also notices trends in the artists you listen to, and looks for similar artists of the same genre and from around the same time period, and your station will include those as well.

Another thing you can do with the app is create a personal offline library of music that doesn’t need an internet connection to play.

However, like most good things in life, there is a catch. In order to be able to listen ad free and be able to close out of the app and listen to your music, you will need to subscribe to YouTube Red, which will cost $12 a month.

There is only one real negative thing beyond the price and that is that each song takes a few seconds to load. This may not seem like a big deal to you, but as someone who enjoys artists such as Pink Floyd and Roger Waters who often make albums where songs flow seamlessly together, it can get very annoying to have the flow of an otherwise perfect album interrupted.

However, these are just two minor flaws in the ocean of good things that make up this app. Also, that last flaw is one that might not even bother you anyways.

This app is great for students, particularly middle-high school age, who are still too young to have any serious spending cash, but too old to be able to convince their parents to give them $20 to spend downloading an album.