AP US history students learn through rapping

Caroline Attmore

Students in Emily Griffin’s AP United States history class perform a prepared rap battle for their peers. Students took sides between Federalists and Anti-federalits in their raps as way to learn the formation of America’s government after the Revolutionary War.

Abby Wang, Staff Reporter

Taking inspiration from the play Hamilton, AP U.S. History classes attempted to embody the American colonists in a rap battle of the American political parties on Tuesday and Wednesday.

“Students were either given the side of the Federalists or the Democratic-Republican Party in early America,” AP U.S. History teacher Whitney Hill said. “They were then given a topic to research and find out what their party’s stance was and why they disagree with the opposite party’s stance.”

Groups and individuals were given three days to come up with factua, but clever lines to “insightfully burn” their opposing party’s position. 

The project provided a break from the usual notes and engage with classmates for students such as junior Connie Yang.

“It was definitely more interactive,” Yang said. “I would like more projects like these because, in APUSH, it is usually just yourself and your notes.”

The teachers find assignments like these helpful in ensuring students understand the material. 

“In order for them to write their rap, they have to know both parties’ ideas about what each of those topics was,” Hill said. “From there they are able to compose their rap like in the play Hamilton, say why their ideas were good and basically bash the opponent’s ideas and why it was bad in their perspective.”

Rapping may not come naturally for all students, so students were encouraged to find an existing song and switch out the lyrics.

“They complain about it at first,” AP U.S. History teacher Emily Griffin said. “But they always end up having a lot of fun and I’m always impressed with the quality of what they write.”