Cherished tradition

Maddie Aronson, Managing Editor

Disclaimer: I don’t have a mum this year, but I do support mum and garter culture. 

‘Tis the season for all things Homecoming, from the posters and proposals, to the theme week, and the actual dance, personally I’ve always been a fan. I know it’s cheesy, but there is something important about celebrating the traditions of our school, and of our state. 

Ever since freshman year, I have wholeheartedly participated in all of the theme days I could, and I could always appreciate a good mum. Sophomore and junior, my friends and I made huge Hobby Lobby hauls, bringing home ribbons, glitter, charms for our interest, and dozens of other personalized trinkets and add-ons for each of us to really make our mums our own. Junior year, I have more vivid memories of the day we spent together piecing together our garters than pretty much all of the other festivities, including the dance itself. 

Even the students who chose the store bought option get to go through the process of total customization, to represent all of the things they care about in high school, like sports, instruments, or theatre charms for the center of the flower, giving students a totally unique way to create a visual representation of their high school life. It’s important to have that as a representation of yourself as a high school students, and a tangible memory for you and your friends later in life. 

I do understand the school of thought, that it’s an unnecessary and thoughtless purchase, and to some extent, that is true. A $300 mum, in the eyes of some people, is a waste of money. Personally, I would never spend that much, but I know people who do, and that absolutely love the outcome.  A full, flowy, flowery, fluffy mum, with lights, and music, and personalized charms, is quite the experience. 

So mum haters, quit complaining, and just sit back and enjoy the tradition. Check out all of the cool customization available, make you own mum, and make your own memories along with it.  Texas kids all over the states participate, making it a classic part of the high school experience, and another great memory for kids to have from their golden years in high school. 

Mums: 1, Haters: 0