Students helping out during holidays

Totes+containing+basic+necessities+such+as+the+ones+pictured+above+are+given+to+guests+at+The+Samaritan+Inn%2C+one+of+several+places+in+the+area+where+students+are+helping+out+this+holiday+season.+

Jay Schlaegel

Totes containing basic necessities such as the ones pictured above are given to guests at The Samaritan Inn, one of several places in the area where students are helping out this holiday season.

Ariela Rodrigues, Guest Contributor

With the holiday season here, some students are going out of their way to help the community either through food packages or through helping out with donations.

“I volunteered at the Samaritan Inn and helped organize stuff for homeless people,” freshman Sophia Garofalo said. “I did it because it’s a tradition that my family does every year during the holiday season

Whether it’s through crocheting beanies for cancer patients or just giving back to the community, sophomore Princess Egibirika is also helping out others.

“I’ve went to downtown Dallas and helped homeless people receive shoes and Christmas gifts and stuff,” Egibirika said. “I just wanted to give kids who are less fortunate than us an opportunity to have gifts.”

Meanwhile, other students helped out with those who are physically less fortunate than they are.

“For Thanksgiving I thought that I should give back to the community so I helped volunteer for a crochet knitting hats projects held by the National Art Honor Society in Liberty High School,” senior Anuja Pai said. “Basically what we did was we knit and crochet hats and like beanies for people may have lost their hair.”

Many people will wander around the streets this holiday season without enough to eat and many students are trying to help out.
“We did a food drive for my church and I helped out by counting the cans and doing things like that just to help out,” freshman Alexis Vasquez said. “It’s really good to give back to the community so it’s just a good way to give back.”