Band and colorguard hope to put the judges on cloud nine

Junior+Kimberly+Nguyen+waves+her+rifle+prop+around+as+a+member+of+Color+Guard+during+a+football+game+at+The+Star.+With+marching+band+season+coming+to+an+end%2C+color+guard+will+compete+int+he+UIL+Area+competition+on+Saturday+in+Little+Elm.+

Sarah Boutouis

Junior Kimberly Nguyen waves her rifle prop around as a member of Color Guard during a football game at The Star. With marching band season coming to an end, color guard will compete int he UIL Area competition on Saturday in Little Elm.

Yael Even, Managing Editor

Band and color guard are in the midst of polishing their final routine as the UIL Region 24 Marching Contest is Saturday at 3:30 p.m. at Lobo Stadium in Little Elm. 

“I think we will do well,” sophomore Julie Johnson said. “We’ve been working hard for it with all of our practices and our hard work should pay off.”

From performing and making memories together, senior color guard member Jillian Whitener believes band and color guard are one big family.

“Working with the band is always a good time,” Whitener said. “There are so many good people and we have created so many memories throughout the years, and although we may have our ups and downs sometimes, we are one big family.” 

In order for the band to have a successful show, they have a new theme yearly.

“Our theme this year is called Cloud 9,” Johnson said. “We have a lot of aspects in our show that portray clouds and our music is based on Beethoven’s 9th Symphony, which is why we have “9” in the name of our show.”

For their performance, band and colorguard work together to bring the theme to life.

“On the field, our uniforms look like sunsets, the guard has sunrise uniforms and flags, and the props all look like clouds,” freshman Alexandra Vasilkovsky said. I believe that our practice will pay off.”

Placing in region Saturday means an advancement to area.

“I’m looking forward to seeing how we end up doing in the judges eyes and see what they think of the show,” Johnson said. “If we do well, we get to move to area next weekend to compete.”