Redhawks secured their spot in regionals by placing third overall

Catie Reeves, Sports Editor

• Both cross country teams kick off their season with medalists. The boy’s came in 2nd overall while the girl’s came in 4th.

• With it only being the her first year on the team, freshman Grace Deshetler leads the girl’s team with a third place with a time of 19:17. Deshetler will be running at her very first regional meet on October 28.

• Senior Katie Gray, member of the team all four years, runs her final District 9-5A meet Thursday.

• Cross country races into their final meet of the season before heading to districs. The team looks to come out strong on Thursday and finish what they started at the beginning of the season.

• Senior Zach Moore, the first to place for the boy’s team on Thursday’s District 9-5A meet. The boys finished third overall as a team, meaning they will be joining the girls at regionals.

• Senior Zach Moore leading the boy’s team with a time of 16:24. Just behind Moore is senior Jahson Ferguson with a time of 17:04, placing the boy’s team in third.

• Senior Suzanne Ramirez strides for the finish in the District 9-5A meet on Thursday. With the girls placing third, it means an advancement to regionals.

• Senior Jahson Ferguson ran in the District 9-5A meet placing 17th with a time of 17:04.

The boys’ and girls’ cross country teams raced for a spot in the UIL 5A Region II at Thursday’s  District 9-5A Championships at McKinney’s Myers Park with both teams finishing third

Three athletes from the girls’ team finished in the top ten with freshman Grace DeShetler taking third, senior Amelia Jauregui placing seventh, and sophomore Jada Williams finishing 10th.

“Our goal was to get top three so we can advance as a team to regionals,” senior Amelia Jauregui said. “To prepare for this meet, we followed our workout regimen that our coaches provided, and then made sure to do a solid recovery before districts. As a senior it feels surreal to have competed in my last districts meet and it feels nothing than extraordinary to have my teammates by my side.”

The boys’ team was equally as successful as senior Zach Moore placed sixth overall with a time of 16:24:00.

“Going in, we were all around pretty confident since we had a couple of good meets before this one,” senior Zach Moore said. “We kind of knew we could make something happen and that’s what we ended up doing. My last districts race was very sentimental since I finished it with a great race, but I knew deep down that I’d never be able to compete and run again in the amazing community that Frisco is.”