Theatre looks for feedback at Wednesday performance

Brynn Soulakis, WTV Staff Reporter

• Senior Emily DeGarmo and sophomore Connor Burk rehearse on stage for “Reviving Ophelia.” The show will run in the auditorium on 7 p.m. for free.

• Seniors Emily DeGarmo and Connor Burk rehearse for theatre’s UIL show. “Reviving Ophelia is basically a story that follows these girls from when they are six to when they are 21,” sophomore Ava Appel said.

• Rehearsing for their UIL show, seniors Vaibhavi Bmane, Isabella Knott, Shivani Desai, Emily DeGarmo, and Rachel Van Meter sit alongside each other on stage. The play will run on Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the auditorium for free.

• Senior Vaibhavi Bmane stands on stage during rehearsal for the UIL show “Reviving Ophelia.”

• Senior Emily DeGarmo stands on stage during rehearsal for the UIL show “Reviving Ophelia.” Recommended for 12 year olds and up, the show continues its run on Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the auditorium for free.

• Seniors Vaibhavi Bmane, Isabella Knott, and Emily DeGarmo share the stage during dress rehearsal for the theatre department’s UIL show “Reviving Ophelia.”

• Seniors Vaibhavi Bmane, Isabella Knott, Shivani Desai, Emily DeGarmo, and Rachel Van Meter sit together on stage. The theatre will be running it’s UIL show, “Reviving Ophelia,” on Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the auditorium.

• Seniors Vaibhavi Bmane, Isabella Knott, Shivani Desai, Emily DeGarmo, and Rachel Van Meter sit together on stage during dress rehearsal. The theatre will be running it’s UIL show, “Reviving Ophelia,” on Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the auditorium.

• On Saturday, cast members of theater’s fall musical “Bright Star” will be meeting together for a team building event in order to strengthen bonds before working on the script. In the eyes of theater teacher Heather Willingham, this will ensure everyone is able to make connections before rehearsal.

Matilda is more than a month away, but in the meantime theatre is focusing on their UIL show, Reviving Ophelia, which is recommended for 12 year olds and up, and continues its run tonight at 7 p.m. in the auditorium for free. 

Following the performance, there will be a panel that allows for audience feedback that will help them determine what parts of the show to cut and keep. 

Reviving Ophelia is basically a story that follows these girls from when they are six to when they are 21,” sophomore Ava Appel said. “It’s just the story of their lives and how they deal with mental illness and issues. 

Although UIL limits the show to a one-act play with a 18-40 minute time period, and a maximum of 24 students, theatre debuted a full length performance Tuesday night. 

“I think it’s relevant to modern times because the original script took place in 2001, and it was written in the 1990s, but we have updated it and brought it into the modern area, from 2004 to 2019,” Appel said. “It’s very relevant and modern and also deals with issues that we are currently facing right now.”