From Florida to Frisco, PGA breaks ground on new headquarters

At+the+2018+Professional+Golfers+Association+press+conference+in+Frisco%2C+PGA+chief+operating+officer+Darrell+Crall+speaks+about+a+newly+announced+move+to+Frisco.+Less+than+a+year+later%2C+the+development+is+projected+to+open+in+June+2022%2C+featuring+several+golf+courses+and+retail.+

provided by Meghan Cone

At the 2018 Professional Golfers’ Association press conference in Frisco, PGA chief operating officer Darrell Crall speaks about a newly announced move to Frisco. Less than a year later, the development is projected to open in June 2022, featuring several golf courses and retail.

Catie Reeves, Sports Editor

Construction for the new face of the PGA Headquarters of America is developing in the heart of Frisco. Partnering with Omni Resorts and Hotels, the campus will feature several golf courses and retail, with an opening date expected in June 2022.

The massive production in its entirety is expected to cost a total of $520 million which, “will include two championship golf courses and a short course totaling 45 holes. It will also feature a 500-room resort hotel, a 127,000-square-foot conference center, miles of trails, a retail district and even a dedicated space for Frisco ISD student athletes to train.”

For the future of Redhawk golf, athletes are excited to be able to experience opportunities professionals are exposed to.

“Well there’s going to be a ton of opportunities for people to get new jobs and there will be a huge incoming of golfers in this area,” senior Jack Day said. “As far as student golfers it will probably give them a better chance at learning the game of golf and to get better, with it being so close to all the high schools.”

Head golf coach Shannon Glidwell is ecstatic for the new courses as it will open new doors for Frisco ISD golf.

“We are obviously excited anytime a new golf facility opens, as it has been quite some time since the last new course has opened in Collin County,” Glidwell said. “PGA Frisco will have two championship caliber golf courses and will be capable of hosting many events. Some are already scheduled that involve the PGA, NTPGA (North Texas PGA), and TGA (Texas Golf Association), and we are hopeful to have several FISD and UIL events there as well.  The practice facilities will be a blessing to Frisco ISD golf programs, as this will provide more practice space for our growing number of teams, schools, and players.”

Expanding the influence of the sport throughout the North Texas area will impact the golf community and all residents.

“I’m excited as well since we will be able to watch some of the world’s greatest golfers come to our hometown and compete in these various championships,” Glidwell said. “Watching the best players compete is inspirational and exciting, and I can’t wait to see the final product on display.”