Catch My Breath presents the truths of vaping

Students+will+stay+in+their+second+period+class+during+advisory+for+%0Aa+special+presentation+on+vaping+as+part+of+Frisco+ISD%E2%80%99s+vaping+prevention+program+in+coordination+with+national+program+Catch+My+Breath.+Although+Thursday+is+the+first+time+FISD+will+talk+to+students+about+vaping%2C+parents+had+a+chance+to+learn+about+the+issue+at+a+seminar+on+Sept.+18.+

Students will stay in their second period class during advisory for a special presentation on vaping as part of Frisco ISD’s vaping prevention program in coordination with national program Catch My Breath. Although Thursday is the first time FISD will talk to students about vaping, parents had a chance to learn about the issue at a seminar on Sept. 18.

Lucas Barr, Editor-in-chief

There will be no advisory period on Friday as students will stay in their second period class for a special presentation on vaping as part of Frisco ISD’s vaping prevention program in coordination with national program Catch My Breath

Friday’s presentation comes as the CDC has linked vaping to over 1,500 cases of lung disease and 33 deaths

School district safe schools coordinator James Caldwell breaks down the structure of the  meetings on vaping students will have during advisory.

“The first class meeting will be on just the truth about vaping-myths and facts-and then the second one is on advertising and how the media tries to portray it and tries to trick you, kind of like the smoking ads in the 1960s where false advertising,” Caldwell said. “They’re kind of doing some of the same things with vaping. And then the final one is just strategies on how to cope.”

Although Thursday is the first time this school year that the district will talk to students about vaping, parents had a chance to learn about the issue at a seminar on Sept. 18. Caldwell stresses that parents are important in preventing vaping.

“I think a lot of parents didn’t know the dangers, and a lot of students didn’t, so they thought it was okay and then again they got hooked and can’t quit,” Caldwell said. “Parents can play a big role in not only preventing their kids from vaping but just substance abuse in general by just having the knowledge of the facts themselves about whatever abuse their talking about.