College Board recognizes Hispanic National scholars

Caroline Attmore

High PSAT scores resulted in eight seniors on campus being named a National Hispanic Scholar title by the National Hispanic Recognition Program. To qualify, students must take the PSAT in October of their junior year, hold at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA by the middle of their junior year, be at least 25 percent Hispanic or Latino descent, and receive the minimum required PSAT/NMSQT cutoff score as set yearly by the College Board.

Kasey Harvey, Editor-In-Chief

Eight seniors on campus have been named a National Hispanic Scholar title by the National Hispanic Recognition Program after receiving qualifying scores on the PSAT as juniors. 

“I was not aware of it,” senior Michael Violante said. “I only found out when I actually got the letter that I qualified for it. I was surprised and then I was proud of myself. It’s nice that I have gotten recognition for my abilities and for my work. It’s something that I can show on college applications as well for my hard work and my intelligence.”

The NHRP awards scholarships to approximately 7,000 students out of the 400,000 that take the PSAT every year.

“I’m very happy because it means that I’m progressing slowly into a future,” senior Daniel Nagles said. “We were very happy, we celebrated.”

To qualify, students must take the PSAT in October of their junior year, hold at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA by the middle of their junior year, be at least 25 percent Hispanic or Latino descent, and receive the minimum required PSAT/NMSQT cutoff score as set yearly by the College Board.

“I was honored and extremely proud of how far I’ve come and I was happy that I got to represent my culture,” senior Caroline Attmore said. “I’m half Hispanic. My mother is half Peruvian and my father is half Cuban. My family was extremely proud of me. My family from Peru just visited and my mom was telling them all about it and they’re really happy for me too.”

For senior Isabella Knott, the award has resulted in scholarship money for college.

“At first I didn’t realize how big of a deal it was until after I finished college applications because it came with a lot of scholarships,” Knott said. “It’s a really nice honor and it means a lot especially once you get to see it translated onto rewards and stuff like that.”

District Award winners are listed below.

Rebecca Arroyo, Lebanon Trail

Albert Baker, Frisco

Axel Bevensee, Heritage

Xochitl Castellanos, Lebanon Trail

Thiago Ciriaco, Independence

Reagan Craft, Wakeland

Meaghan Crawford, Heritage

Jose Davila, Reedy

Julian Dibona, Lone Star

Avagrace Doyle, Reedy

Lauren Earle, Reedy

Celeste Ferman, Lone Star

Daniela Fregoso, Lone Star

Alexander Garza, Liberty

Jose Herreria, Lone Star

Anne Lammes, Lebanon Trail

Nicholas Leal, Heritage

Erick Jorgenson, Centennial

Tanya Mahmood, Centennial

Paula Martin Del Campo, Lone Star

Anthony Menchaca, Centennial

Jaden Mendez, Reedy

Jonathan Munoz, Reedy

Joseph Peacock, Heritage

Danna Gonzalez Pedroz, Heritage

Lara Pallares, Lone Star

Andres Paredes, Lone Star

Fernando Parra, Lone Star

Katelyn Plank, Wakeland

Elian Porras, Centennial

Matheus Robinson, Centennial

Andreina Rodriguez, Centennial

Nicholas Rodriguez, Heritage

Justin Sado, Reedy

Mari Sanchez, Reedy

Isabella Schmich, Independence

Alaia Snell, Lone Star

Kari Traylor, Wakeland

Kira Traylor, Wakeland

Vivian Vazquez, Heritage

Marc Zalmanoff, Wakeland