Free online tutoring now available for FISD students

Starting+with+the+2021-2022+school+year%2C+students+in+grades+3-12%2C+pending+state+approval%2C+are+eligible+to+opt+out+of+in-person+school+as+Frisco+ISD+proposes+its+plan+for+an+all-virtual+school.+The+plan+is+depending+upon+certain+things+happening+in+Austin+during+the+current+legislative+session.+

Kasey Harvey

Starting with the 2021-2022 school year, students in grades 3-12, pending state approval, are eligible to opt out of in-person school as Frisco ISD proposes its plan for an all-virtual school. The plan is depending upon certain things happening in Austin during the current legislative session.

Aaron Boehmer, Managing Editor

Free online tutorials are now offered to Frisco ISD students in collaboration with the Reaching All Innovative Learners program and a video conferencing platform called Zoom

The free tutorials include an hour in the evening on one weekday and two hours one weekend a month for each content area; which feature lessons for more than 20 courses. 

“Anything you need to graduate high school, we have it,” RAIL math teacher Andrew Forbus said. “If students have busy schedules like they’re in band, or in football, or they’re super busy, they can catch us late at 6, 7, 8 p.m. and get their questions asked.” 

Forbus sees many students using these tutorials as a tool to better understand classroom curriculum. 

“I get kids who really need help with their current content in the classroom, you know like a worksheet and they’ll hold it up to the camera, and I’ll help them with that,” Forbus said. “We also have kids coming in who are asking for extensions of a lesson. They get the basics but they want to learn more, so that’s been really fun.” 

RAIL science teacher Michael Voth offers physics tutorials in order to provide students across the district with help in physics and chemistry. 

“I answer questions, provide clarity and use the digital whiteboard to help students solve problems,” Voth said in a district news release. “Students can pop in and ask a quick question or they can stay and get concept overviews.”

That’s what Wakeland junior Sanai Theodore did after being encouraged by her mom to try the online tutorials.

“At first I was skeptical about how effective this would actually be,” Theodore said in a Frisco ISD news release.  “Mr. Voth helped me to understand the concepts we were learning. I was able to communicate with him on his whiteboard going through the problems as he explained how to solve them.”