School teams excel over break

Surrounded by Centennial players, sophomore Reggie Chaney gets two of his 14 points on this one handed dunk Saturday, Jan 2, 2016 at Centennial in the 60-39 win over the Titans.

Sarah Philips

Arman Kafai, Lead Sports Reporter

School is back in session but school sports didn’t take a break as teams participated in tournaments and events during the two week break.

Boys and girls wrestling competed in tournaments at Grapevine, with the boys finishing in 3rd, bringing their record to 19-2, and the girls fairing well individually, as Miranda Tyler, Kyra Austin, and Ashtyn Stevens all medaled.

We couldn’t be happier with our teams over the holidays,” head coach Jason Thurston said via email. “Practices were productive and intense with well over 60 kids at each practice. The men’s team travelled to Grapevine for the Grapevine Duals and finished in 3rd place with an 8-1 record. We were the top finishing team from the state of Texas, but more importantly we wrestled with a lot of intensity and aggressiveness. The women’s team also wrestled at Grapevine and saw several individuals perform very well. The team is on pace to accomplish our goals, but we just need to keep using every opportunity to improve.”

Girls basketball competed in the Sandra Meadows Classic over the break, defeating Clear Springs and Colleyville Heritage before falling to two time state champion and the #8 team in the nation, Blackman HIgh School of Tennessee 55-37. The team battled back, knocking off top ranked private school Argyle Liberty Christian before losing to Conway High School (AR) in the 5th-6th place game, to finish 6th in the tournament. The team then played Centennial on Saturday, defeating the TItans 45-44, giving the girls a 4-1 district record.

“We did really well, we played some of the best competition in the nation,” head coach Ross Reedy said. “We faced two nationally ranked teams, we played two traditional 6A powers, and we played the number one private school in Texas. Those are five different teams and we went 3-2. Any time you play five games in the Meadows tournament, which is the biggest tournament in southwest United States around the holiday break, you play in a trophy game and you play for a trophy game, you know you’re playing pretty good basketball. We just finished up and got ourselves in a good position, we beat Centennial the other day in our first district game back on Saturday. That puts us back where we feel we are supposed to be which is in a tie for first place in our district. All in all, we still have room to get better but we feel pretty good.”

The boys team took part in the Dallas ISD Coca-Cola tournament. They defeated Conrad and South Oak Cliff in the first two rounds. The team fell short against defending champion and 5A #1 Lancaster 63-52 in the semi-final. In the 3rd place game, a game tying buzzer beater by Reggie Chaney forced overtime against 4A #19 Dallas Lincoln, and as time expired, Trey Curry hit a putback to give the team a 62-60 win. Carter Brown was named to the All-Tournament team. On Saturday, the boys were also back to district play blew out Centennial 60-39, to bring their district record to 4-0.

I felt great about the winter break,” head coach Marcus Eckert said via email. “We beat Conrad, South Oak Cliff, Duncanville, and Lincoln to finish 3rd place out of 32 teams.  The team is playing great basketball – unselfish, disciplined, and plenty of defense and dunks!”