Girls’ basketball powers past Plano West

Following soccer and swims split results, the basketball team also has split results against Memorial. The girls’ fell short 41-38 and the boys’ team won 72-66.

Catie Reeves, Sports Editor

The girls’ basketball team earned its first win of the year, defeating 6A Plano West 44-24 on Monday.

“The win felt great,” sophomore Jazzy Owens said. “Especially because we all are clicking and really starting to play for each other. The importance of preseason play is to really help us get in game like situations and just see where we are at as a team and hopefully make any improvements and adjustments before actual district begins.”

Winning a state championship in 2006, Plano West is often a 6A power, making it back to state in 2014

“They’re traditionally and culturally rich, it’s a good win for us and it’s a good opportunity for us to see where we’re at,” girls’ head coach Ross Reedy said. “I think that more than anything it’s a good metric for us because Lone Star played them in a scrimmage and it was fairly close. Memorial played them in a game before and won by ten. And even though you can’t look too much into scores it kind of gives us an idea of where we stack up against some of the teams that we’re going to be playing later on. Plus we faced a lot of athletic teams up to this point and this was the first time we’ve faced a team that had a presence inside so it forced us to defend things differently.”