Classroom practice eases All Region audition nerves

Isabella Santiago

With All Region auditions taking place on Dec. 7, band students went from class to class on Friday playing their music in order to prepare. “It was really just kind of a thought I had that I figured would be a good idea for students to get a holistic approach to playing in front of people who have never heard them play,” band director Zachary Anderson said.

Aaron Boehmer, Managing Editor

Preparing students for All Region band auditions on Dec. 7, band director Zachary Anderson is having students play individually in front of classes on campus on Friday. 

“It was really just kind of a thought I had that I figured would be a good idea for students to get a holistic approach to playing in front of people who have never heard them play,” Anderson said. “And [also] to put them in a position where they have to play not just in front of their peers and people that play the instrument they play, but play for other people that they respect many not have any idea about what they are playing.” 

Performing in front of classes is something junior Jack Milleson thinks will prepare him for the audition.  

“I think it’s a good idea because it gives you an opportunity to play your music in front of a group of people that are around your age group and it gives you an aesthetic feeling of what it’s gonna be like in all regions room” 

Sophomore Praneeth Akkineni believes that students can get over the fear of playing in front of others through this process. 

“I think it’s a good idea because it helps people get into a mock audition setting,” Akkineni said. “[And it] helps people get over the fear of playing in front of other people.” 

Among the audience members in first period was bookroom attendant Ken Budz.

“I enjoyed the performance immensely,” he said. “I think the musicians are incredibly talented and I think our teachers here at Liberty do a fantastic job with those students.”