Wrestling claims another victory

Wrestling took second in two different tournaments over the weekend with girls’ competing in the Coppell Cowgirl Classic and boys’ in the Liberty Throwdown. Reflecting their success, senior Princess Egbuchunam placed first in the 165 lb weight class.

Maddie Aronson, Managing Editor

Wrapping up a long weekend of competition, wrestling earned wins in their Thursday dual with Frisco High School, and two second place titles in the girl’s Coppell Cowgirl Classic Friday, and the boy’s Liberty Throwdown. 

“The dual went really well against Frisco high, first district dual of the year, and our kids showed up and wrestled really well,” assistant coach Justin Koons said. “It’s important especially in district duals to get some good quality wins over some key opponents because of seeding criteria when districts comes around, we don’t know how many times we’re going to see these guys. It could be once, and if we only see them once, we have to get that own so we can have that win over.” 

Placing first in the 165 weight class at the Cowgirl Classic, senior Princess Egbuchunam is excited about her team’s success, but recognizes that there are still things for the girls to improve. 

“I felt really good about my performance, I worked really hard for the win and I’m really proud of it,” Egbuchunam said. “Overall, I think the girls performed really well but we definitely have some things we need to fix before the next tournament. Now we need to focus a lot more on getting off our back, and solidifying our setups to take downs.”

In the boys team dual Saturday, each wrestler got to participate in a number of matches, and for sophomore Cole Hebert, the experience is a good way for the team to prepare for what is to come. 

“I think there’s a lot of good teams here,” Herbert said. “We’re getting a lot of good wrestling. We know that coach says that all the time, season starts at state, so I really feel that this is going to prepare us for that moment.” 

Even though the team was able to grab second place, Herbert believes that there’s always room for perfecting technique. 

“We’re killing it, I feel great about the way we’re wrestling,” Hebert said. “We do need to make sure we’re working on our form, with getting up from bottom, and our front headlock series.”