Mixed results from a weekend of wrestling

As+a+second+year+wrestler%2C+junior+Price+Ugoh+begins+his+match+in+the+220+lb+weight+class.+In+his+first+year+of+wrestling%2C+Ugoh+had+an+undefeated+season%2C+and+is+now+looking+to+sustain+his+record+this+season.+

As a second year wrestler, junior Price Ugoh begins his match in the 220 lb weight class. In his first year of wrestling, Ugoh had an undefeated season, and is now looking to sustain his record this season.

Maddie Aronson, Managing Editor

Continuing its undefeated District 8-5A streak, wrestling took wins in its Thursday duals against Memorial and Lone Star. The action continued Friday and Saturday with the boys placing third in the Wylie East High School Raider Invitational, and the girls finishing 12th in the Lewisville High School Texas Women’s Classic.

“It was a really tough tournament, our girls did really well, we saw a lot of things that we need to improve on,” senior Daley Burkett said. “This is probably the only time we’re gonna see a lot of these schools before state, so it’s good to see who a lot of our competition is, and get somewhat of an idea of what state is going to look like.”

The girl’s competed with 41 different teams, including both 5A and 6A schools, and for assistant wrestling coach Justin Koons, the weekend was good preparation for bigger things to come.

“I told the girls, and I talked to a lot of other people, and this is probably as tough or even tougher than state for the girls,” Koons said. “We saw a ton of talent there, so it’s a good tournament to see where we’re at in great competition. I felt like we got a ton of mat time, which is super important, and we still have a lot of things to work on, but we have a lot of promise over the horizon, being two months away from the state tournament.”

On the boys side, the team also faced 5A and 6A teams, but managed to grab third and have eight wrestlers place top six, including 220 lb’s first place winner sophomore Prince Ugho.

“I felt good, I definitely felt good to win, and I think the team did good over all,” Ugho said. “I think it showed us what we really are, that we are a dominant team, and if we keep working and giving our best and all we can we can get first.”

For head coach Cody Bridwell, the team is coming together, but there is always room for improvement as the season continues.

“I thought we performed up to expectations, I thought we did well,” Bridwell said. “We are still making mistakes that we can improve upon, but overall, taking 3rd place to two 6A teams, we’re coming along, we’re getting better. Right now, my view is that not we’re polished yet, but were going to start that process of finishing out people, and polishing and making sure that we’re ready for February.”