District gives look into advanced courses

Kasey Harvey

AP Literature students work in groups on a month long project exploring eras of literature.

Lucas Barr, Editor-In-Chief

Frisco ISD is hosting its second Advanced Academics Night of the 2019-2020 school year at 6:30 p.m. Thursday in the auditorium at Centennial High School.

Delivering a presentation on pre-Advanced Placement (PAP), Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB) and dual credit offerings in Frisco ISD, Advanced Academic Coordinator Srikrishna Chetty plans to give advice on creating balanced schedules.

“I hope parents take away from the presentation tonight the idea of balance for their kids. I think we’ve had a little bit of a push for kids to just pick them all,” Chetty said. “The hope is that they recognize that it’s important to take AP classes and challenge yourself, but it’s also important to do things that you’re passionate about and have a good balance of all of those things.”

Having taken several AP courses so far, junior Srujan Mupparapu believes that students should think hard before taking on too many classes.

“Students who are thinking about signing up for advanced classes should ask students who already took the class about the workload and pacing, then decide whether they want to take the class,” Mupparapu. “They should make a list of classes that interest them, and find out how the class is like from older students, then create a balanced list.”