Piece by piece: selling out to school

Morgan Kong

Staff reporter Madison Saviano explores hot topics and issues that students face in her weekly column Piece by Piece.

Madison Saviano, Staff Reporter

It seems to me that many of us students have sold out to school. I know that I certainly have considered whether or not I have.

After further thought, though, I think I can rest assured. While I have compromised my ideals and challenged my morals, I have not sold out- more on that later, though.

My ideals were compromised as soon as I stepped into the arena. No longer was school a breezy Sunday stroll. No, now it was a swift race and I was amidst thoroughbreds. As my definition of the word “winner” warped, so did my ideals. A winner was no longer someone who ranked on merit. Rather, “winner” had been reduced to “the first person to cross the finish line,” regardless of how. 

And that was when my morals were challenged. Not only was I amidst thoroughbreds, no, I was amidst cortisone infused, HGH jacked ones. The rules hadn’t changed, but the competition certainly had. While before I had adhered to a strict moral code, I was now looking for wiggle room in between the lines. Although no room budged, the fact that I even sought it gave me considerable concern. 

But there lies the saving grace: concern. Yes, I know high schoolers are pegged with having an excess amount of that, but some of it is good. Afterall, concern for my moral conduct is exactly why I can claim to still have some.

Yes, I’m concerned for my state of mind, but the fact that I am suggests there is still some of it left to save. In my thinking, concern merely denotes a conscious.  

So be conscious and ask yourself: am I selling out?