Double win for wrestling, taking down the Knights and Cougars

Competing+in+the+Trinity+Trojan+Invitational%2C++junior+Michael+Breslav+looks+to+take+down+his+opponent%2C+and+work+to+score+points+for+his+team.+On+Thursday%2C+the+boys+and+girls+took+down+Independance+and+The+Colony+High+School%2C+continuing+their+district+win+streak+as+they+approach+Districts.+

Brian Seals

Competing in the Trinity Trojan Invitational, junior Michael Breslav looks to take down his opponent, and work to score points for his team. On Thursday, the boys and girls took down Independance and The Colony High School, continuing their district win streak as they approach Districts.

Maddie Aronson, Managing Editor

Coming home with two more district wins, the wrestling program scored a double sweep against The Colony High School and the Independence Knights as both the boys’ and girls’ teams earned wins.  

“I feel that I wrestled really well last night I had two district opponents, so my wins against them give me a good idea of what our district tournament will look like,” senior Daley Burkett said. “Overall I feel that our women’s team performed really well, we showed how we’ve improved throughout the year and I think that our performance last night was a good boost to morale before we enter our district, region, and state competitions.”

On the girls’ side, assistant wrestling coach Justin Koons is proud of the performance, and is looking forward to competition down the line. 

“The girls did really well, we went in knowing that Independence was going to be a really tough duel, they have a full lineup and were doing really well recruiting,” Koons said. “We did some really good things, we saw what we need to work on, but you can definitely tell were getting better.”

While the boys faced less of a challenge, a few of varsity’s newest wrestlers showed out and made a positive impact on the night. 

“Going into the duals, we had no doubt we were going to win just because of how the lineups matched up, we just needed to wrestle more sound,” Koons said. “We kind of got away from some of our technique, but all in all, the guys performed really well. Some new guys stepped into the line up and got some big wins, like Chris Figueroa, and John Wallace stepped up, so those are big wins for guys that are first year varsity wrestlers, so that helped a lot.”