Seven swimmers glide toward region meet

Junior+Mallory+Showalter+swims+backstroke+during+a+200+yard+freestyle.+Showalter+and+three+other+Redhawk+swimmers+will+compete+at+the+UIL+state+competition++in+Austin+on+Friday+and+Saturday+at+the+University+of+Texas+Aquatic+Center.+

Sarah Boutouis

Junior Mallory Showalter swims backstroke during a 200 yard freestyle. Showalter and three other Redhawk swimmers will compete at the UIL state competition in Austin on Friday and Saturday at the University of Texas Aquatic Center.

Amelia Jáuregui, Staff Reporter

The Redhawks swim team placed 3rd (girls) and 9th (boys) in the District 10-5A meet Friday and Saturday at the Bruce Eubanks Natatorium, with seven swimmers advancing to the 5A Region II Meet Jan. 31-Feb. 1 in Mansfield. 

“As a team we did well,” senior Hannah Nguyen said. “We had a lot of best times and broken records for the girls relay.”

That record came in the girls 200 yard medley relay as Nguyen, juniors Mallory Showalter, Rachel Eason, and freshman Maria Oushalkas finished in 1:51:51. 

Oushalkas helped pace the team as she also finished first in the 200 yard freestyle and second in the 100 yard butterfly.

“We were all pretty ecstatic for winning especially since we broke the record and I’m pretty happy since I got best times and I am also close to beating both records,” Oushalkas said. “At regionals the competition is pretty good but I’m going to keep training and see how I do.”