Read Out Loud Day brings people onto the same page

Many+Redhawks+had+the+opportunity+to+compete+with+other+schools+across+the+district+in+what+is+known+as+Battle+of+the+Books%2C+a+chance+for+students+to+read+and+test+their+knowledge+while+having+fun+in+the+process.+

Many Redhawks had the opportunity to compete with other schools across the district in what is known as Battle of the Books, a chance for students to read and test their knowledge while having fun in the process.

Kanz Bitar, Staff Reporter

Read Out Loud Day is an annual advocacy day that unites people around the world to celebrate the joy of reading out loud. On Tuesday, teachers who want will be reading a little bit from a story book of their choosing in celebration of Read Out Loud Day. 

Assistant Principal Stacey Whaling, who has offered to go to classes and read, believes that there is an importance to reading out loud.

“Studies have proven that reading to young people through their formative years in high school is really important to their growth and well being,” Whaling said. 

Librarian Chelsea Hamilton thinks that reading in itself has been proven to be beneficial but there are also benefits to reading out loud.

“Reading in general has been scientifically proven to better comprehension in reading and working in school,” Hamilton said. “It helps you do better in classes, it helps you analyze, helps you think and it also boosts your imagination. I think reading can be something universally beneficial. And reading out loud helps with diction, public speaking, fluency and again imagination. Reading in any way shape or form is going to help your brain develop. ”

Being read to as a high school student may seem unconventional, but senior Hannah Sestha is willing to give it a try.

“Having a teacher read out loud to me now I think can be a little weird since we don’t need it but I know that there are benefits to it,” Sestha said. “As a kid I obviously needed my parents and teachers to read to me and it taught me a lot. And if a teacher reads to me tomorrow, then I’ll listen and see what it has to offer.”