Band performs in the midst of preparing for UIL

Caroline Attmore

French horn musicians practice during band class. These instruments and many more will be featured in the band program’s mid-winter concert Thursday in the auditorium at 7 p.m.

Hannah Beeler, Guest Contributor

A variety of music is on the playlist Thursday starting at 7 p.m. in the auditorium as the band program performs its mid-winter concert.

“We’ve got three full ensembles playing at the concert. Concert band, symphonic band, and symphonic winds,” band director Jamie Weaver said. “Some UIL music will be featured throughout the bands and symphonic winds is actually divided up into small ensembles like flutes, double reeds, and brass each will be an ensemble group”.

The band has been preparing since the end of winter break for Thursday’s concert. 

“Our expectations are to go beyond what is written on the page,” junior, french horn player Jia Kanar siad. “We should use dynamics, musical emphasis, style, and articulation based on the type of music we’re playing”. 

With the UIL Solo and Ensemble competition coming up on Feb. 22, sophomore trombonist Austin Carnline hopes to continue to his growth.

“This concert will be our first official performance of some of our UIL music, so I’m hoping to use this concert as a way to build confidence performing in higher-stakes situations,” Carnline said via text. “It will be a  great way to gauge where we stand as an ensemble and individuals.”