ASVAB test held Wednesday

Registration begins Monday for the Armed Services Vocational Aptitutde Battery for interested sophomores, juniors, and seniors. The test is being administrated Wednesday.

Kanz Bitar, Staff Reporter

Several students on campus interested in a military career are taking the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery test on Wednesday. 

“The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery ( ASVAB) is a researched aptitude test developed by the Department of Defense,” testing coordinator Ashley Stripe said. “It measures students strengths and potential for success in military training as well as other areas.”       

This test is based on what students already know without any preparation.

“There is nothing students need to do to prepare for the test,” Stripe said. “And students that register to take the test will be taking it on the computer in the computer lab.”

This exam can be useful in the future in many ways. 

“The test is useful to show students their areas of strengths for future careers even if they aren’t sure if they are interested in a military career,” Stripe said.

Counselor Ryan Kiefer, who served in the military, believes students that want to pursue a military career need to have an open mind.

“A lot of students come in and they think they know where they want to go, like the Marines, or Air Force or Guard. But I always tell them to first of all try to be an officer if they can because it’s hard to move from an enlist to an officer,” Kiefer said. “And another thing I say is you need to check out every branch because until you ask the questions, they each have different programs and so they really need to talk to every branch in the military to make sure it’s the correct fit for them.”