More than just a sideline attraction, cheer takes the spotlight

Even+with+football+season+going+on%2C+and+basketball+season+just+around+the+corner+the+cheer+team+gets+ready+for+their+own+competition.++

Emily Vetvick

Even with football season going on, and basketball season just around the corner the cheer team gets ready for their own competition.

Kasey Harvey, Editor-in-Chief

Hitting the masses less than a month ago on Jan. 8, Cheer has become a hit sensation on Netflix. Rated 95 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, numerous students and staff members on campus have been binge watching the show.

“The show definitely showed a different perspective on the sport that I had not ever seen,”  junior Avery Jennings said. “The show was very intriguing and was fun and entertaining to watch.”

Shining a spotlight on the small Texas college’s cheer team located in Corsicana, the show tells the story of the Navarro College Cheerleaders.

Made up of 14 girls and 24 boys, the team will add one Redhawk to the team starting in August. 

“I actually made the team before the show came out and when the show came out it just made me fall in love with the school and program and even more,” senior Aliyah Clark said. “I still don’t have a full picture of what I want to do after college so this will help me lead me into the path of that while still being able to do what I love and have a passion for. It helped that I’m getting a scholarship from the program to go to school there and overall I’m so excited to be a part of the 20-21 season.”

Winning 14 National Championships since 2000 and five NCA Grand National Championships since 2012, the team has made its wake in the world of cheer and now onto Netflix. 

For cheer co-captain, senior Rileigh Horcher, hasn’t done competitive cheer, but appreciates the recognition to the sport. 

“I absolutely loved the show,” Horcher said. “I’ve never done competitive cheer but I have friends who have and I’m so glad that it’s finally getting the attention it deserves. Competitive cheerleaders are some of the most hardworking dedicated athletes I’ve ever seen.”

The competitive cheer showcased in the show differs from high school cheer, Horcher says the spirit is still the same.

“I think more of the sideline aspect relates more to school cheer,” Horcher said. “And definitely the positive attitudes and encouragement is something that is similar to school cheer as well.”