Redhawks take to the mat in UIL competition

Head coach Cody Bridwell talks with wrestling team members in between matches. The team is facing nine other competitive teams at The Colony High School Friday from 4:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

Catie Reeves, Sports Editor

Opening up its UIL District 8-5A Championships, the wrestling team is facing nine other competitive teams at The Colony High School Friday from 4:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

“Everyone has been working so hard all season,” senior Megan Wedeinbach said. “It’s so humbling being surrounded by so many people that are so devoted to the sport. Our goal as a team is to get as many people to region as we can, and maybe even take home a team trophy. Personally I would love to make it to the finals.”

In order to qualify athletes for the Region 2 meet on Friday, Feb. 14, the boys and girls will have to place in the top four, either individually or as a team. 

“As a whole we have been going to many tough two day events such as Grapevine Duals and the Trojan Tournament,” senior Tristan Searls said. “Also,  we’ve worked very hard in the weight room and the mat room improving our technique and stamina. For me my goal is to place first at districts. As a team I hope to take many of us to regionals and to possibly even win districts.”