Preparing for UIL, orchestra to do a trial run Monday

Two orchestra students on campus, both of whom were selected to advance from the preliminary round of the Coleman Chamber Music Competition, will have a chance to win the People’s Choice Award. 

Hannah Beeler, Guest Contributor

Orchestra is getting ready for it’s UIL competition with a simulated version on Monday in the auditorium, and fine arts hall, starting at 3:45 p.m.

“Pre-UIL includes a warm up period of time, after which students will go on stage to perform for a judge. The judge then gives a quick ten minute clinic regarding things that he/she has heard and how to fix them,” assistant director of orchestras Victoria Lien said. “The last portion is the sight reading room, where students will see a piece for the first time and learn it in eight minutes without making a sound”.

Concert, philharmonic, and sinfonia orchestras along with the top two orchestras from Vandeventer Middle School will be participating in the pre-UIL rehearsals.

“I hope to become a better violinist and improve overall in orchestra due to the helpful tips we will get from different Pre UIL judges that will be there,” Sophomore violinist Yasameen Ayubsaid via text.  

Freshman violinist Satvik Duddukuru believes this experience will give orchestra a perspective on their performance level and gives them several weeks before the UIL competition Feb. 25-28.

“Pre-UIL gives us an opportunity to practice the UIL process without high stakes,” Duddukuru said. “ It also shows us how well we are performing and where we can improve.”