National Merit Semifinalists honored at board meeting

Sarah Boutouis

Two Redhawks, Tom Punnen and Laura Young having earned the title of National Merit Scholarship Winner. Each scholarship winner earns $ 2,500 that they can use toward their intended major.

Yael Even, Managing Editor

The Board of Trustees held its monthly meeting Monday evening highlighting the achievement of students throughout the district, the increase of enrollment, and the hiring of staff members for the 2021 school year.

Senior Reed Carlisle was one of the school’s 12 National Merit Semifinalists recognized at Monday’s meeting.

“I thought it was pretty great,” Carlisle said. “Especially for all of the hard work and dedication that me and the other semifinalists put in to be recognized by our community in Frisco. And for the district to know they’re doing a good job putting our students in a position to succeed.

Among the other National Merit Semifinalists at Monday’s meeting was senior Kavi Saravanan.“It felt rewarding to see the board designate time to recognize us seniors,” senior National Merit Semifinalist Kavi Saravanan said. “I  was glad to see that there were so many of us from FISD who qualified for the award.”