Putting their strength to the test

Wednesday+at+5%3A00+p.m%2C+the+girls+powerlifting+team+will+be+heading+to+Memorial+High+School%2C+to+compete+in+the+202+district+meet.+Taking+the+most+girls+in+school+history%2C+the+team+is+looking+to+score+big+and+move+onto+regionals.+

Wednesday at 5:00 p.m, the girl’s powerlifting team will be heading to Memorial High School, to compete in the 202 district meet. Taking the most girls in school history, the team is looking to score big and move onto regionals.

Maddie Aronson, Managing Editor

Muscles bulging and straining, the powerlifting team is ready to go for district championships  Wednesday and Thursday in the Frisco ISD meets at Memorial High School.

“We saw tremendous growth between the first two meets from both teams,” powerlifting head coach Brandon Gonzales said. “We’ve been focusing on handling heavier weight the last few weeks, really concentrating on technique. There are many rules they have to abide that makes the sport challenging.” 

The girls’ team is first up on Wednesday, with the boys’ following on Thursday.

For junior Franny Trezza, the meet is a culmination of all of her work this season, and she hopes to show out with a heavy lift. 

“I have been lifting two or three times a day I go in before school to lift and then during the athletic period we do weight room a lot and then my after school practices as well,” Trezza said. “A goal for myself this meet is to get my squat up. Last meet I knew I could do a lot better and if I improve it enough I have a chance of getting first in district for my weight class which is so exciting.” 

Entering the meets with young teams, Gonzales hopes for the Redhawks to score well. 

“On the boys side, we have lots of underclassmen with limited experience, but we enjoyed some success,” Gonzo said.  “We have a well rounded lineup with almost every weight class filled. We are expecting Ben Anderson, Diego Jurado, Daniel Ajayi, and Nick Teta to have a big night. On the girls side, they’ve done a great job of recruiting and building the biggest team in Liberty history. Our only returner was Karina Otrhalek and she’s been a great leader. If they continue to follow the process, I can see all 12 girls scoring team points.”