Success at regionals sends eleven wrestlers to state

Squaring up with his opponent, senior Prince Ugoh looks to take a shot. The Redhawks take the mat Wednesday as the 2021-2022 wrestling season begins.

Maddie Aronson, Managing Editor

Approaching the last part of their season, wrestling returns from the Region 2-5A tournament with girls grabbing second place overall, and boys taking fourth. 

For assistant wrestling coach Justin Koons, coming out as runner up is a big accomplishment for the girls. 

“I think the girls did fantastic this weekend,” Koons said. “We brought six and all six are going on to state when you bring all of them in and have five in the finals, and you bring home the second place regional trophy you couldn’t ask for more.” 

With eleven athletes heading to state, the team continues to solidify their skills. 

“We are practicing what we do we’re fine tuning the little things,” Koons said. “We’re making sure they are comfortable with every move they make, and analysing some of the mistakes we’ve made, but were just polishing and there’s not much more we’re going to do.”

Regionals marked a crucial check point in the season, and senior Megan Weidenbach is looking forward to the last stop in their journey this year at state Thursday. 

“I felt really good about regionals. I think we have a really good bond as a team and it boosts everyone’s confidence going into competition,” Weidenbach said. “For state this week I’m trying to stick to my usual routine just to keep things consistent, however I did get a few extra snacks after our last weigh in.”

Taking first place at both districts and regionals, sophomore Prince Ugoh is preparing for even tougher battles in Houston. 

“For regionals at first I felt a little nervous but as the day went by I became more confident in myself and my wrestling,” Ugoh said. “As for state, I am personally making sure that I not only maintain my strength and weight, but I am making sure to eat a lot of carbs and protein to keep me going in the match longer as well as refining and perfecting my main couple of moves.”