Boys’ season ends as girls advance

Spreading out her arms on defense junior Lily Ziemkiewicz tries to help the Redhawks gain possession. The girls’ side moved on to the next round of playoffs with a win against Lovejoy, while the boys’ season ended with a loss against Heritage.

Catie Reeves, Sports Editor

The journey to state began for the girls’ basketball team on Tuesday, as the season came to a close for the boys’ team.

Taking on the Lovejoy Leopards at Allen High School, the Redhawks eliminated the Leopards 53-33.

“It feels really good,” sophomore Ashley Anderson said. ‘Going into it we were expecting a win, but it just really needed to be executed. In order to make it to state we need to really be focused during practice and bring that focus to every game.”

Unfortunately for the boys’ side, the season came to a close after being eliminated from playoff contention after falling to Heritage 57-53.

“One thing I took away from my final game is pride,” senior Doruk Ozyurt said. “I felt very proud to play in my final game as a senior no matter the result. Even though I joined the program later than others, they always took care of me and made me feel that I’m a part of the program. I will always remember the memories I’ve made and I will never forget that this program is not just a basketball program. I will take away unity.”