Opinion: Bathroom etiquette

Columnist Emma Crampton urges girls to do a better job of cleaning up after themselves when using a school bathroom to get ready.

Standing outside the girls bathroom, columnist Emma Crampton wonders why the bathrooms are such a mess.

EunJae Kim

Standing outside the girls’ bathroom, columnist Emma Crampton wonders why the bathrooms are such a mess.

Emma Crampton, Staff Reporter

Something as simple as washing your hands in the restroom should not be life threatening. That’s right, life threatening. How? Hazardous and fire catching objects such as flat irons, curling wands and blow dryers are left behind in the sinks of the bathroom.

This is a very impractical and dangerous situation because if these objects touch water, they are considered a fire hazard. Just imagine somebody just innocently trying to wash their hands and just happens to be oblivious to the risky object lying beneath their hands. Then, an unintentional safety hazard is sparked.

The girl’s in first period athletics who get ready before school as well as girls who just choose to get ready at school could help solve this problem by picking up after themselves. It could do more than you think; it could even save a life.

In addition, various beauty products left behind is also viewed as an annoyance for other students, but also leaves extra work for the custodians.

When students are trying to wash their hands, foundation on the mirrors, blush by the sink and hair in the drain is not the most ideal thing to see. Also, custodians have enough to do. The carelessness of girls who wish to or have to get ready in the bathrooms should not add to their jobs.

The solution to this issue is simple; clean up after yourselves. Tight schedules are understandable, but the simple act of cleaning your own mess should not be such a problem.